http://www.becollege.org Homepage http://www.becollege.org Homepage

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Discuss your thought

Subject Topic: BESU - IIEST status? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by sidban on 31 January 2007 at 8:17pm - IP Logged
View sidban's Profile Search for other posts by sidban Visit sidban's Homepage Quote sidban
sidban
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
10 March 2003
100 Posts
It seems to me we almost lost hope of getting the IIEST status. Is there any hope remaining in this direction?

-----------------
Siddhartha Banerjee
Visit me at www.sidban.net

Message posted by arindamchaubec on 05 February 2007 at 12:58am - IP Logged
View arindamchaubec's Profile Search for other posts by arindamchaubec Quote arindamchaubec
arindamchaubec
Standard Member
Standard Member
India
28 June 2005
7 Posts

Dear siddhartha da as in all previous cases both students and the administration seem to have lost total interest in this. We seem to have a tradition of acting in small spurts of lots of action followed by long periods of total inactivity.

I went to the college recently and found to my surprise that the students were least bothered in this regard. (And I spoke to quite a few students by the way). The situation it seems has taken a turn for the worst after the 150th yr celebration after which no announcement about the upgradation was forthcoming.

I believe the time has come for the students to unite together and persue the issue in the manner in which the durgapur guys got their NIT status.

Enough is enough

-----------------
Arindam Chaudhuri
2006 ETC

Message posted by sidban on 05 February 2007 at 5:22pm - IP Logged
View sidban's Profile Search for other posts by sidban Visit sidban's Homepage Quote sidban
sidban
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
10 March 2003
100 Posts
I think you are true. How to start a systematic agitation and lobby powerful corners in our favor? We need to keep this issue alive. I believe GAABESUS is busy with internal elections now.

I can personally devote time from May 2007 end to August 2007 first week. Shall we start writing to GAABESUS to constantly persist with this matter?

Regards

-----------------
Siddhartha Banerjee

Message posted by sghosh81 on 25 February 2007 at 10:31am - IP Logged
View sghosh81's Profile Search for other posts by sghosh81 Quote sghosh81
sghosh81
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
15 March 2003
8 Posts

It will be great if we can accomplish the INI status eventually. But I am not sure it was a very good idea for teachers to resort to a strike toward that objective. It sounds almost like a trade union movement, which is unheard of as far as professors of a supposedly premier educational institute are concerned.

Have we thought what the outcome of the strike may be, if nothing comes through from the Center - we just withdraw silently? If by any chance the bosses in the Center have already decided against the conversion, it may be hard to get them change their minds through a strike. Also, in India there is the mindset of precedent - if one institute could win it through a strike, then what prevents other institutes also from striking to achive the same goal. This I guess often works as the major deterrent in the minds of administrators to yield to strikers' demands. 

I will, however, be the happiest if the desired result happens. Hope the Center was on the verge of awarding the status when the strike started and all goes well as expected.

Subha S Ghosh ('81 ME)

Message posted by sidban on 18 March 2007 at 4:03pm - IP Logged
sidban
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
10 March 2003
100 Posts

With the latest updates (17th March 2007) it seems very clear that the decision remains between Center and the State to sort out certain issues regarding admission and the governance format if BESU is granted INI status.

Do you think that state will let BESU to become INI on center's condition? Will center still make BESU INI if the state goverment doesn't agree on the conditions laid by the center?

Express your opinion.

-----------------
Siddhartha Banerjee

Message posted by sidban on 21 March 2007 at 6:01pm - IP Logged
sidban
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
10 March 2003
100 Posts
Is this breaking news?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Three_IITs_for_Andhra_none_for_Orissa/articleshow/1719527.cms

-----------------
Siddhartha Banerjee

Message posted by sidban on 03 May 2007 at 7:21am - IP Logged
sidban
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
10 March 2003
100 Posts
Unfortunately I think politics is coming to play the biggest role in coming days for the crucial upgradation issue.

-----------------
Siddhartha Banerjee

Message posted by ankelal on 03 May 2007 at 9:22am - IP Logged
View ankelal's Profile Search for other posts by ankelal Quote ankelal
ankelal
Standard Member
Standard Member
Afghanistan
02 February 2005
25 Posts
Yes you are 2000% right Mr. Sidban.

Message posted by sidban on 05 May 2007 at 12:17pm - IP Logged
sidban
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
10 March 2003
100 Posts

Unfortunately I think politics is going to play the biggest role in coming days for the crucial upgradation issue. But still what is the real political issue on BESU upgradation issue? In the opposition against it? Or is it people against it?

Sometimes it's hard to understand these politicians.

-----------------
Siddhartha Banerjee

Message posted by sidban on 05 May 2007 at 12:21pm - IP Logged
sidban
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
10 March 2003
100 Posts

Here I quote Prabalda's comments in this issue:

With the declaration of three more IITs by MHRD, it is evident that the proposal for  creation of IIESTs has been abandoned by the GOI. This is why Arjun Singh cancelled his program to attend Besu's 150 years celebraton at the last moment. Bengal's HEM must have advised Arjun Singh during his last meeting in Delhi, not to persue for conversion of Besu into IIEST as they are likely to loose control over Besu. As  the current Central Govt. is dependent on CPM for their survival, they have to consider our CM's request and that is why they are now silent on the issue. In fact, WBG has back stabbed Besu, instead of supporting its development program. It is time we forget about any support from WBG for the development of Besu, unless we create an environment so that they are compelled to do so. 

-----------------
Prabal Choudhury

Message posted by sidban on 23 June 2007 at 10:31am - IP Logged
sidban
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
10 March 2003
100 Posts
Is there anyone in this forum who knows what will happen next (or at least guess so)?

-----------------
Siddhartha Banerjee

Message posted by saswata on 25 June 2007 at 9:22pm - IP Logged
View saswata's Profile Search for other posts by saswata Quote saswata
saswata
India
09 December 2004
2 Posts

Folks, any update on this front? Is this issue in cold storage? Unfortunately I think this is a 'now-or-never case' but I do not see go-ahead coming from the WB Govt which, as always, remains the only hurdle.

Also, as a alumni, 2 things I would like to know:

1. Profile of students taking admission this yr at BESU (rankings, % from outside state etc.)

2. The final placement numbers for batch which graduated this yr.

Saswata Misra, 94 CST

-----------------
Saswata Misra (CST, 94)

Message posted by prosenjit on 18 July 2007 at 8:55pm - IP Logged
View prosenjit's Profile Search for other posts by prosenjit Quote prosenjit
prosenjit
Standard Member
Standard Member
Australia
18 July 2007
2 Posts

The west bengal government has finally given its nod in favour of BE College upgradation to IIEST. After the IIEST bill is passed in parliament ,intial grant totalling 529 crore will be allocated to BE College. This is good news indeed. 50% of seats at IIEST Sibpur will be reserved for West Bengal residents- the rest from all over India. The JEE conducted by West Bengal board will not be the selection process for entry into IIEST Sibpur.

-----------------
pb

Message posted by ankelal on 19 July 2007 at 4:23am - IP Logged
View ankelal's Profile Search for other posts by ankelal Quote ankelal
ankelal
Standard Member
Standard Member
Afghanistan
02 February 2005
25 Posts

Sidban,

We are expecting your valuable comments regarding this issue.

Tx

Message posted by prosenjit on 19 July 2007 at 4:27pm - IP Logged
View prosenjit's Profile Search for other posts by prosenjit Quote prosenjit
prosenjit
Standard Member
Standard Member
Australia
18 July 2007
2 Posts

The damaging love affair that West Bengal Government enjoyed with B.E.College is expected to end soon. Hopefully, students and staffs will not resort to any hunger strike in the future in order to expedite the passage of Sibpur Act/IIEST Act in the Parliament. Its nice to know that at least for the first time Sibpur campus will bear an all India character in its student composition.

-----------------
pb

Message posted by sidban on 19 February 2008 at 1:01pm - IP Logged
sidban
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
10 March 2003
100 Posts

Message posted by sesh101 on 14 March 2008 at 8:05am - IP Logged
View sesh101's Profile Search for other posts by sesh101 Quote sesh101
sesh101
Standard Member
Standard Member

01 September 2005
11 Posts
TOI-13th March 2008

Besu to introduce 5-yr master’s course
Varsity Grads To Clear ME After A Year, Similar Plans For Students Willing To Pursue MBA
Somdatta Basu | TNN

Kolkata: Students of Bengal Engineering and Science University (Besu) will now be able to obtain their master’s degrees only a year after completing the four-year bachelor of engineering course.
    From the 2008-09 session, Besu will introduce an integrated five-year ME course. Students, who will obtain the BE degree from the university, need only pursue another year’s study to obtain the ME degree. So far, one needed to put in two years of study after BE for an ME degree.
    “We propose to implement the recommendations of the Anandakrishnan Committee after the curriculum is approved by the academic council. It is an integrated five-year programme. At the end of four years, students may quit by obtaining the BE degree or continue another year and earn an ME degree,” said Besu vice-chancellor, N R Banerjea.
    The system is already prevalent in the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), where students can complete an integrated MTech within five years. Now, a similar academic policy will be followed at Besu, added Banerjea.
    The university is also planning to introduce a five-year integrated MBA course. When introduced, Besu’s BE students will be able to pursue an MBA course from the third year onwards. “We will hold an exam for the third year students. However, before offering the integrated MBA, we will have to reformulate our courses,” Banerjea said.
    But why the sudden decision to offer integrated courses? The students’ expertise will increase in a short time with such courses, feels Banerjea. “This will mean that any student, who wants to join the research programmes and get into teaching, will be able to earn an ME in five years and, over the next 3 years, earn a PhD as well,” he explained.
    The curriculum to be followed by Besu for the integrated courses will be along the lines of the IITs. This has been suggested to the institute by the ministry of human resources development. Accordingly, Besu is planning to send two teams to IIT, Kharagpur and IIT, Kanpur soon.
    “The first team will be involved in studying the academic curriculum and evaluating the system followed by the IITs, while the second will study the administration of these institutes. Besu and the IITs have their respective areas of merit. The expertise will be shared accordingly,” said Banerjea.

Message posted by sesh101 on 31 March 2008 at 2:54pm - IP Logged
sesh101
Standard Member
Standard Member

01 September 2005
11 Posts
http://www.thestatesman.net/page.news.php?clid=22&theme=&usrsess=1&id=197449

INI status to end Besu unrest?

Statesman News Service
KOLKATA, March 31: Student unrest at Bengal Engineering and Science University (Besu) will be a thing of the past once it is upgraded to an Institute of National Importance (INI), senior academicians said. The INI status would ensure an autonomous and apolitical governance structure without any political students’ organisations at Besu.
At a time when the academic circle is apprehensive about the fate of the INI status, Besu vice chancellor, Prof NR Banerjea is confident in an upgraded Besu, student unrest would cease for good. The institute will then have a governance structure on the lines of the IITs where such incidents of student unrest is non-existent.
“The authorities, presently, tackle such problems leniently and does not take the requisite harsh step. In an INI scenario, however, the head of the institute or the director will have the absolute power to handle such cases,” said Prof Banerjea.
External influences have always prevented Besu authorities from handling the situation in the appropriate manner. This would no longer exist if the institute became autonomous.
The presence of students’ groups with political affiliations would be done away with in an upgraded Besu. It would have a single students' organisation, something similar to IIT's Gymkhana, where the most popular student is be chosen as the general secretary.
Again, a total revamp of the academic curriculum, which is expected in an INI, would further leave no scope for indulging in any activities apart from academics. “The series of tests, assignments and project work will engage students in the routine academics,” added Prof Banerjea.
Currently Besu is in a transient stage, unable to take any conclusive decision as it waits for the Centre's nod. Despite being upgraded from deemed university status to a full fledged university in 2005, Besu till date follows the deemed university statute, for the only reason that it will soon become an Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST) and will have a separate statute to follow.
Prof Amitabha Ghosh, former director of IIT Kharagpur and also a member of Anandkrishnan Committee that recommended Besu to be upgraded to INI was hopeful the changed academic and governance structure of upgraded Besu would leave no scope for any scuffle between students.
A team of senior teachers of the institute recently went to New Delhi last week to discuss the issue with Union HRD ministry officials and expedite the upgrade process.

Message posted by sidban on 08 May 2008 at 11:57am - IP Logged
sidban
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
10 March 2003
100 Posts

Message posted by sesh101 on 30 May 2008 at 6:46am - IP Logged
sesh101
Standard Member
Standard Member

01 September 2005
11 Posts
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080506/jsp/calcutta/story_9227555.jsp
Besu upgrade runs into note block
OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT
The Besu campus in Shibpur. A Telegraph picture

Besu is not going to function as an Institute of National Importance (INI) from the 2008-09 academic session.

The upgrade of the Shibpur university to an INI has hit a roadblock, with the human resources development ministry yet to ready a Cabinet note that will kick-start the process.

Post-upgrade, the university will be known as Indian Institute of Engineering, Science and Technology (IIEST).

The university was due to start its first IIEST session from the 2008-09 academic session. But ministry officials have told vice-chancellor N.R. Banerjea that Besu will have to function as a state university for some more time.

“N.K. Singh, the joint secretary in the ministry, told us that the bill to upgrade Besu could not be tabled in the Budget session of Parliament. He did not give us any deadline for tabling the bill,” said Besu registrar Biman Bandopadhyay, who accompanied the vice-chancellor to New Delhi last week.

State higher education minister Sudarshan Roychoudhuri has been informed about the upgrade status. Officials said the vice-chancellor would write to the Centre, seeking an early upgrade of the university.

Ministry officials said the IIESTs (a cluster of five institutes, including Besu) could be set up by including a schedule in the NIT Amendment Bill. The bill was scheduled to be passed in the Budget session of Parliament.

Officials who are preparing the Cabinet note ahead of tabling the Bill are yet to get the nod from the finance ministry, planning and development ministry and the department of science and technology.

The finance ministry had recently sent back a draft note as it was not routed through the expenditure finance committee of the human resources development ministry.

Back at the university, the blame game is on. “The authorities have not followed up the case with the ministry properly,” said Besu Teachers’ Association’s N.R. Bandopadhyay.