October 13, 2008
With profound grief I am sharing this information that our batch-mate - Mr. Kamal Kumar Das '84 Civil (Hostel 11), who was suffering from Cancer, has passed away this morning.
On behalf of '84 batch, we expressed our gratitude for the solidarity shown by you all in donating money for his treatment.
May his soul rest in peace!
Snehasish Goshal, ‘84ME (H11,Rich), Delhi
Fund collected by GAABESU has been handed over to wife of late Kamal Das by Prof Manas Sanyal [ Receipt, PDF].
Prepared by Nilanjan Sengupta, '84CE and Subrata Samanta, '84ME and submitted by Subrata Chowdhury (aka CG), '87EE.
Kamal Kumar Das,1984 CE spent his first 3 years at Hostel 11 and final year in Wolfenden Hall. After his graduation he joined CMDA (Now KMDA - Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority). Kamal lives in a co-operative flat in Karunamayee-Salt Lake, Kolkata with his homemaker wife and 13 year old son.
Kamal had the first attack of carcinoma of lungs in early 2007 and undergone a difficult surgery at Kolkata. Then he went to Mumbai for further treatment at Tata Memorial. It was then in August/September 2007, his class-mates, batch-mates and friends came to know about his illness and they tried to help him financially because by that time he was almost ruined due to massive expenditure (in spite of some help from his collegues in KMDA) in such treatment which we all are aware of.
Nilanjan Sengupta, 84CE then made an appeal to all our batchmates and with the support of some of the batchmates and Rs. 20000/- from Delhi Alumni Association we could collect about Rs. 2.75 lacs to cover some of the expenses. Since the doctors in TATA MEMORIAL did not give any hope and Kamal had to come back to Kolkata for Chemotherapy and other treatments.
It looked slightly better in December 2007 after six Chemotherapy although physically he became extremely vulnerable but was surviving somehow or other. Now just 12 days back we were informed by Nilanjan Sengupta again that the condition has become serious and now Kamal was admitted again in Thakurpukur Cancer Hospital on 14th July 2008 where alreday had radiationand will be brought back to home on this Saturday but again he will have to be admitted next week.
So all these things will require huge money - almost to the tune of Rs. 3.0 lacs immediately.
How to Donate? (As of September 19, 2008)
Donation via GAABESU is closed now. Donors are requested send your donation directly to Kamal Kumar Das. Please contact volunteers listed here for account information.
- Kolkata, India: Nilanjan Sengupta, '84CE, Email: nsg62[AT]rediffmail.com; Ph: +919231655726 and Subrata Samanta, '84ME, subrata[AT]wpil.co.in, Ph +919339869241
- Delhi, India - Subrata Chowdhury , ‘87EE ; subrata786[AT]yahoo.com>, Ph 0+91 9818760787
"Rs 2,82,000 has been sent to Kamal Das" - Subrata Chowdhury on July 28 2008
All on-line payments are posted here regularly. Payment made to USA co-ordinator will be also posted here too. For missing/incorrect on-line payment information, please contact GAABESU Publicity Team at gbecaa[AT]yahoo.com. For a confirmation of your payment to local volunteers or directly to the account, please contact them directly. If you wish to be anonymous, please advise GAABESU publicity team or GAABESU Office.
1) GAABESU Office (Last updated September 8, 2008)
- Kaustubh Dasgupta, 97CE, Sept 8, INR 1000
2) On-line Payment (Last Updated on September 19, 2008)
- Bibekananda Mondal, Ontatio, Canada, September 19 - USD 25.00
- Debal Banerjee, Ontario, Canada, September 17 - USD 100.00
- Sushanta K Bhattacharyya, Alberta, Canada, September 16 - USD 50.00
- Swarup Pal, Sharjah, UAE, September 16 - USD 50.00
- Amitabha Chatterjee, NJ, USA, September 15 - USD 250.00
- Kishore Agarwala,UK, September 15 - USD 25.00
- Sudip Majumder, CA, USA, September 14 - USD 101.00
- Samit Chaudhuri, CA, USA, September 14 - USD 75.00
- Bipul Podder, Bangalore, India, September 14, 2008 - USD 20.00
- TANMOY HAZRA, AP, India, July 31 2008 - USD 25.00
- Pratik Biswas, NJ, USA, July 28 2008 - USD 50.00
- Asis Kumar Das, TX, USA, July 21 2008 - USD 50.00
- Ranjoy Ghosh, NJ, USA, July 20 2008 - USD 50.00
- Debasis Basu, NJ, USA, July 19 2008 - USD 50.00
3) Fund received by BECAA, NJ, USA
Last updated on September 4, 2008
- Saroj Bhol, NJ, USA, US$ 50.00
- Swapan Saha, CA, USA, US$ 50.00
- Bhaskar Dasgupta, NJ, USA, US$ 50.00
4) Funds from Oman - July 23, 2008
Today I have transferred Rs. 35,000/- i.e., total amount collected from alumni in OMAN so far. It is on-line transfer and expected to be credited to Kamal da's A/c tomorrow (24 July 2008) morning, when bank opens in Kolkata.
The donors are:
(1) Prosenjit Chakraborty (87 EE) - Rs. 10,000/-
(2) Soumitra Chatterjee (82 Arch) - Rs. 10,000/-
(3) Tridip Das Roy (78 CE) - Rs. 5,000/-
(4) Rajdeep Dutta (88 EE) - Rs. 10,000/-
We pray for Kamal da's earliest recovery and his long healthy life ahead.
5) Update from India
a) Provided by Subrata Chowdhury on July 28 2008
We have raised Rs 2,82,000. Please note BECAA, Delhi chapter has given Rs 25,000. His condition is very critical.
b) Update from BECAA, Maharastra on September 2, 2008
This is to intimate all the Becca, Maharastra members that with the contribution from the members and the grant from the association fund, we have handed over a cheque of Rs 30,000/- to Mr Kripamoy Mandal and the other one for the same amount to Mr Kamal Das for the treatment of Master Souvik, Kripa's Son and Kamal himself.
Let us pray to God to give them & their families the strength to undergo the present ordeal and wish that they overcomes from it as early as possible.
A note from the GAABESU Publicity Team
Each donor receives an ack from the GAABESU office as long as the payment is made as published here (On-line (credit card) or off-line (GAABESU Office or BECAA, NJ A/C)). The name is posted here within 24 hours for credit card payments and all on-line donors receive confirmations from PayPal instantly.